I have been searching a pair of knickers to add to my roster for a while now. A lot of bike specific shops sell and produce them. They vary widely in quality and price, I'll put a few examples in the site watch at the bottom of this page. Today however, I got the wild hair to try and customize my own knickers. Sure I could just order some, but where is the fun. Plus my standards aren't too high for bike wear so what could go wrong.
- Custom length legs (I have a wide waist compared to my short legs)
- Velcro outer pockets
- Cell phone/Camera inner pocket (made with scrap fabric)
- Custom embroidered logo (later date, depends on price)
- BDU Trouser (Tan) - $35.00 local army surplus
- Velcro (Stripes) - $4.00 local fabric shop
- Scrap Fabric - $0.43 local fabric shop
Regular tan BDU trousers.
Friday I should have the second part of this mini project up with photos. The only issue I ran into so far was buying Velcro with a sticky backing. It is great for placement, but it gunked up the sewing machine so bad that I'm learning to hand sew the Velcro now. The inner pocket and knicker hem back to the sewing machine with ease, but more on that Friday.
DIY Knickers Part 2
Chrome Bags Knickers
Bicycle Fixation Wool Knickers
Portland Cycle Wear Knickers