Friday, May 22, 2009

Adventures in Mini Painting

The last time I mentioned D&D I also mentioned that we were playing with minis. Well, we weren't actually playing minis until the second game night. The first time we played Mehtul and I were mini-less and I think one of us was playing as piece of Chex mix. While tasty, it was not as cool as it could have been. So the two of us hit up the local gaming shop to find minis to represent our characters. Below is the "priest" mini from Reaper that I picked to represent Mirado, my human cleric. He looks a little grizzled, carries a mace/holy symbol and isn't wearing to much metal based armor. Perfect!

Not one to settle when it comes to the nerdy arts, I started thinking about painting options the day I bought Mirado. I already had a bunch of supplies from my failed 40k army just sitting around anyway, so I might as well put them to use. I started by priming just the mini and then decided it needed a better base. So I jacked a 40k base from my box oh parts, glued and then green stuffed to make everything level.

Primed, based and greenstuffed.
Before painting I went back and primed over the base and green (not pictured)
My workstation/coffee table post painting
Mirado (front)
Mirado (back)
Mirado (close)
There is still a lot of room for improvement on this mini and my painting skills in general. I was on a self imposed deadline of four days, so I could have Mirado ready for tonight's D&D game. The face is a little lifeless and the cloak needs more highlights. The flocking on the base is a crushed up rock from my yard and could use a little static grass to really pop. I could go on, trust me. I will most likely go back to this mini and work on the details at a later date.

Resources used:
Reaper Miniatures
Americana Acrylics
Painting Clinic
Mike Kan's Painting Guides

No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search