Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Weekend Review: Oct 6th & 7th

Every weekend there are new sights, sounds, and taste to consume. There are other sensory inputs that tickle my brain too, but saying there is stuff to feel sounds creepy. This is a weekly journal of my weekend endeavors. Enjoy!

Skullkickers
Back in 2010 I mentioned Skullkickers as a comic I was looking forward to reading. I hunted down the first issue and ultimately ended up with a signed copy care of my friend Chris (TheChort) and the NYCC. I picked up the first arc in single issues and then ended up losing the thread. Now that Ward is here I have been burning through comics I meant to read at a rapid pace. I hunted down the rest of this series and gobbled them up. The art is great and I love the modern comedic dialog smashed up with fantasy tropes. Grade A stuff!

Hundreds
I never played Canabalt on the iPad, which is where I think it blew up. I played it on the webz via flash, where I tend to discount games a few points already. They are a little too throw away and if I am sitting down at a computer I might as well play a whole game. Once in a while a flash game steals away more than a few hours from me. Hundreds is one of those games. It is from the developers of Canabalt and soon to be a  mobile game. The art is reminiscent of it's predecessor, simple yet elegant, but the game play is worlds apart. I'm looking forward to Hundreds on the iPad, where I plan to waste away many a hour.

DMZ
I left off at trade numero 7 of DMZ back in late 2009. It was no fault of story, arc or anything else, I had caught up on the trades and then last track once the next one came out. After finishing the Northlanders earlier this month, I realized it was time to return to DMZ. Wood's writing really gets me and I love the premise (America's 2nd civil war). It keeps delivering. I am now half way through volume 11 and a little bummed that the series will end in one more trade.

Theft of Swords
I gave up on this book twice. I came back to it again when comics started to eat my brain and we ran out of DVR shows (it is tough having a second baby!). A tweet from Penny Arcade's Gabe helped. Once I powered through 20% (Pages? What are those?) it actually took. It will be a mixed review when I finish it, but I hope it finishes way stronger than it starts.


No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search