Monday, August 19, 2013

Weekend Review: August 17th & 18th

Every weekend there are new sights, sounds, and taste to consume. There are other sensory inputs that tickle my brain too, but saying there is stuff to feel sounds creepy. This is a weekly journal of my weekend endeavors. Enjoy!

Wool
I've been in a bit of fantasy/sci-fi rut since the last ASoIaF book if I'm being honest. Nothing has seemed to scratch that itch. So I turned to non-fiction for a bit and have now tried to read the Wool series twice.The first book was originally a stand alone short story. It's about a sheriff in an underground silo following a apocalyptic event that drives everyone underground. It is well written, concise and enjoyable. The rest of the books each follow a different character, but are kicked off from the events in book one. At book three I lost my head of steam and started to get bored. Crystal couldn't make it through book two. One and done is my advice. It is short and cheap.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Brothers is not like any game I've ever played. It is cooperative play, but played by one person. You control two brothers on a quest to save their father. You do so by controlling the older brother on the left thumbstick and trigger and the younger on the right. The world they explore is beautiful, it is an impressive display of art direction and level design. You are rewarded for exploring and the mechanics of controlling two characters progresses the story as you get better at doing so. I played a large portion of the game my 4 year old which turned out to be a mistake. While it is a story of two kid brothers, there are occasional adult themes that left him with questions I didn't have great answers for. That was my mistake though. The game was amazing. It is rare that you get something completely new in the world of video games. It was short, but for $15 it was worth every penny. Brothers will stick with me for a good while and makes me hopeful for what the future of video games might hold.

Sleeping Dogs
I picked up four new games during the Steam summer sale in July. Torchlight 2 got some play, but none stuck like Sleeping Dogs. I'd heard good things about it in the weeks after it came out, but was not looking for an open world game at the time. I was wrong to have waited. Sleeping Dogs doesn't add much to the GTA model of open world cops and robbers, but it does drip with style. The game takes place in Hong Kong and has tons to see and explore. The main story sees you taking on the role of an undercover cop trying to infiltrate the triads. It is serviceable and occasionally over the top, but held up by good driving and fighting mechanics.

No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search