Monday, September 16, 2013

Weekend Review: Sep 14th & 15th

Every weekend there are new sights, sounds, and taste to consume. There are other sensory inputs that tickle my brain too, but saying there is stuff to feel sounds creepy. This is a weekly journal of my weekend endeavors. Enjoy!

Topo Daypack
After a great family trip to Busch Gardens this summer I came back with a singular focus. The backpack we brought with us was one Crystal carried in college. It was too small and uncomfortable to wear. That and it looked like a kid would carry it. I decided that I'd find a better backpack. While I was at it, I recognized the need for a laptop friendly bag too. Hopefully picking up something that would replace three bags we've been tooling around with for years. I started by hitting up Mike for advice and he pointed me to the Wirecutter's favorite bags page. It was a wealth of information and a bit overwhelming. After two weeks of written and video reviews I decided on the Daypack. It is made of sturdy material and looks great. Not too technical and more of a seventies outdoors man sort of vibe. It may look less technical, but it has modern bag technology built into it. My laptop fits like a glove and for everyday carry it handles gym shoes, clothes and a water bottle too. I've worn it once for a walking trip and it was like butter on my back.

Obstructures Pry Tool
There was a six month span two years ago where I watched the Atwood tool blog relentlessly. Hoping to get the EDC tool of my dreams. Nothing. I eventually gave up and started carrying a Screwpop. It was an OK bottle opener, but I lost the driver bit twice. It was awkward to open bottles with, which was mainly what I used it for. When went backpack shopping last month I started to day dream about what I would fill it with. That meant touring around old post at the EDC blog. Which is were I discovered the Obstructures Pry Tool. It opens bottles like a champ and offers a make shift screwdriver and pry tool too. I really dig the threaded key ring as well, it makes using the tool super easy.

MiO
I've been ramping up my work day coffee consumption unknowingly for the past year (new baby?). Eventually getting to 6-7 cups a day, which seems like and is a lot. I introduced morning black tea to my routine as a coffee replacement, but after the thermos was empty I was right back at the Keurig machine. Last week I decided to look for more alternatives and found MiO. It is simply concentrated flavoring for water. It does not taste artificial, though it certainly is and it is not overly sweet. I want to do more research into it, but for now I'm keeping my intake to two glasses a day. It is pretty good.


No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search