Monday, January 5, 2015

Some Games in 2014

2014 was a bit a stinker, not just for games and rap, but on many fronts. Not sad to see it go, but I did play some fun things along the way...

The evolution of the open world game. The best of Assassin's Creed and Batman: Arkham Asylum series coupled with an incredibly creative new AI system. I couldn't put it down and didn't want it to end.

I've tried and failed to enjoy Magic the Gathering on three separate occasions in my life. Hearthstone makes collectible card games simple, fun and beautiful. Not an easy feat.

Best story I played all year long and it was in a throw back first person shooter Nazi killing game. Weird.

How, no, why? I swore off WoW back in 2011, after it appeared to be ruining my life. Well raiding specifically, but I did away with all of it. Then Blizzard put out their best expansion since WotLK this fall and I'm still playing it. No raiding though.

I thought this was going to be the game that would stake Call of Duty right in it's cold black heart. Before and after it came out. I loved the titans weight and the pilot's mobility, still do. No one else agreed with me.

Classic top down party based RPG mechanics in a mostly modern package. It didn't hold my hand and it let me creatively solve most every situation. Thank you D:OS.

7. Rogue Legacy (2013)
I didn't catch this one till the tail end of 2013, but then I played it on and off again until mid-summer. 2D side scrolling, retro, precise controlling fun. And repeatable and interesting to the last drop.

Assassins Creed games are done right? They need to be taken behind the old barn and put out of their misery. Well, unless they are a pirate sim, that lets you sail the open seas to the tune of collectible sea shanties.

A fully realized video game version of South Park. Funny, creative and super vulgar. In the best way possible.

10. Crossy Roads
The best pass and play game our family played all year. All four of us sat on the coach for hours trying to best each others high score. It is just endless Frogger, dead simple controls and beautiful voxel like graphics.

No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search