Monday, September 10, 2007

Lore or the Lack There of

With the release of Tides of Darkness at the end of August I came to the realization that I have not participated in any lore related activities since I stopped raiding. I guess you can count raiding as a lore activity, but once you have full cleared the instance, follow up visits just don't seem to mean much. I am at least fifty pages into Tides already and loving it. I am reading two other books currently and I have dropped them completely to focus all my attention on Tides.

With my new found self awareness that my life lacks lore, I started to look for the "why". Leveling while reading Rise of the Horde was one of the coolest experiences I have had in WoW to date. Clearing Karazhan with in the same year that I finished The Last Guardian was a wonderful companion to making the instance seem that much more fun. After I hitting 70, going far beyond exalted with the violet eye and full clearing Gruul's lair there just doesn't seem to be any other outlets for lore outside of end game content. PvP is my current focus, as if that weren't abundantly clear from my recent post, and it has near zero lore behind it (AV is a joke after the millionth game).

Maybe dynamic NPCs is the answer, knowing that Thrall is sitting static in the Orgrimmar 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is a real bummer. He is the savior of the horde and an all around bad ass dude, shouldn't he be getting more face time. In the current state of the game the heroes and lore stars don't ever do anything cool (spoiler alert: except in the black temple), they just sit on their asses in mostly empty capital cities.

I remember reading a few years ago before release of Star Wars Galaxies that they had plans to have actors or gm's playing as the heroes from the series. You wouldn't be hanging out with Darth Vader or Han Solo on a regular basis, but on a rare occasion you might see Han getting into an exchange with a bounty hunter at a back woods local or Vader coming to visit the leader of an empire capital city. I don't know if that ever came to fruition, but I do know that it sounds cool, that the game was awful and that I only played it for a week before canceling my subscription to play in the WoW beta.

If your a WoW lore head who is grasping at anything you can get these days pick up Tides and go check out the short stories that Blizzard is putting out on their website.

Arena Notes
I won't be getting in any 3s this week because of timing and a trip to DC tonight. So last night I put out the call to do 2s with any willing participant and land Tight's alt Pally. We went 7-3 (would have been 8-2 sans a poorly timed disconnect). Outside of the long long que times it was a ton of fun playing as a very sturdy out last team. 2DPS teams fell like paper soldiers to us and healer teams could not match my WE burst or our combined CC. It is a little disappointing to not play 3s, but lemonade out of lemons is always a nice pick me up.

No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search