Thursday, January 3, 2008

Wreck Awards 2007

So everyone else does it...why not me!

Game of the Year: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
I didn't think that a first person shooter could surprise me with it's story telling mechanics any more. What I mean by that is how the story is told as opposed to the actual story. Writers can always drum up a new twist that the player won't see coming, but new ways to tell that story are few and far between. The opening credit sequence in Call of Duty 4 is amazing, while I don't want to spoil it I will say that is places you in a role you have never played before. COD4 is my game of the year for 2007, but I can see myself spending a ton of time 2008 with it as well.
Runners Up: Portal and Bioshock

Game I should have played: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
I don't own a PS3 and I don't think I will be picking one up for the foreseeable future. So out of all the games that came out this year only two PS3 exclusives sparked my interest. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction looked cool, but my past experiences with R&C titles has been less than impressive. Uncharted is the only game that came out for the PS3 that made me thirst for three console redundancy. Maybe a high quality Jak and Daxter and/or Metal Gear game will convince me to pick up a PS3 in 2008.
Runner Up: Super Mario Galaxy

Movie of the Year: Juno
Juno was a surprise and half for me this year and was not even on my movie radar until a week before the end of 2007. I caught the trailer for the film on the apple trailers site and was hooked. I showed it to Crystal and pulled a switch-a-roo the Saturday before Christmas. It is funny, witty and in the end endearing. I now have the hots for Ellen Page and Michael Cera!
Runner Up: Knocked Up

Movie I should have seen: No Country for Old Men
I heart the Cohen Brothers, but some how I missed what would have probably been my favorite movie this year. Hope fully I will get a chance to see it in the theaters before I am relegated to an upscaled DVD. On that note someone figure out the HD disk format war soon!
Runner Up: Eastern Promises

Album of the Year: Rob Sonic - Sabotage Gigante
I got the pleasure of discovering this artist live this year when I went to DC to see Aesop Rock and Blockhead. I was blown away by Rob Sonic's performance with Aesop and picked up his newly released album Sabotage Gigante. It is a little more traditional than what I usually listen too in terms of hip hop, but you definitely wouldn't confuse it with the terrible rap you hear on MTV.
Runner Up: Avett Brothers - Emotionalism

No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search