Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Gearing my Check

My frame (pics) came in and I picked it up this past Friday. Man it is a pretty beast. I just want to throw it together and ride all over creation. There is some work needs doin' first though. It needs parts to make it whole and that means going shopping...
  • Bomb proof wheels
  • Shifting like butter
  • Gears that don't hate me
  • Brakes that grab rain or shine
  • etc...etc...etc...
So far I have compiled a simple list of of parts, that will only expand as I do more research. Once I gather all the parts I will have my local bike shop lash it together....

Frame
Surly Cross Check 60cm - $369.00

Seating
- Salsa Shaft Seatpost 27.2 x 350mm - $50.00
- B-17 Champion Special british racing green - $106.00

Hands
- Salsa MotoAce S.U.L. Stem 105º x 90mm x 26mm - $33.00
- Nitto "Noodle" handlebars - $44.95
- Cane Creek SCR-5 Brake Levers - $36.00
- Cane Creek CrossTop Brake Levers - $31.00
- Cane Creek S2 Headset 1-1/8" - $50.00
- Green French Cloth Tape Amber Shellac - $4.00 x 4

Drivetrain
- Shimano Dura-Ace Downtube 9 Speed - $65.95
- Shimano Tiagra 4500GS Rear Triple Derailleur - $49.95
- Shimano FD-4503 Tiagra Triple Front Derailleur- ???
- Sugino XD600 175mm - $99.99
- Shimano Tiagra Cassette 9 Speed - $35.00
- Shimano BB-UN54 Bottom Bracket 68x113 - $23.99

Wheels
- Shimano XT M760 Front Hub 36H - $39.00
- Shimano XT M765 Rear Hub 36H - $70.00
- Salsa Delgado Rim 36H - $35.00 x2
- DT Champion Black Spokes - $25 x2
- DT Green Alloy Nipples - $11.20 x2
-
Velox Rim Strip - $4.00 x2
- Build Cost - $35.00 x2

Wheel Total with Shipping
: $372.82

Misc
- Time ATAC Alium Pedals - $54.98
- King Waterbottle Cage - $15.00 x2
- Tektro CR720 Brakes - $27.00 x2

Some of the sites I have linked in my site watches in the past few weeks will also serve as my stores of choice when I start ordering. Below they are listed in no particular order...

Wallbike
Harris Cyclery
Peter White Cycles
Rivendell
Web Cyclery
Velo Orange

That is all for now I expect to be updating this post often for my own personal reference, but please leave comments if you have opinions on the gear already posted or suggestions for other parts.

Riverside Four
Went for yet another ride on Saturday: Russ, Grant and myself. Check out the photos (pics).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

SOME WORK??? A lot of work :)

Grant said...

Noice! Get that thing out in the sun for some proper pictures!

Something to consider on the handlebars: all Nitto stuff is great, but the wider sizes of the Noodle (I think you're running the 46 cm Noodle now- super wide) are heat treated, so they're just that little bit stronger. Either would work fine, but of course you're hard on your gear. Plus, the 115 are going to have a steeper ramp before the hoods, which is a marked contrast from your current noodles.

The ride pictures from last week are the best yet. I really like the shot of Russ's Brooks, and the more zoomed out shot of his bike gives a good feel for the color.

Grant said...

See the Dream Bar in the Catalog at the Riv site for a good illustration of the steeper ramp thing I'm talking about. The 115 is probably similar ramp style to the Dream.

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search