Monday, February 25, 2008

Workshop and Arcade Reborn

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes my workshop (pics) recently rose from the ashes old paint cans. When we moved in almost three years ago the previous owner left a workshop full of old paint cans and chemicals on the shelves. He also installed bulky kitchen cabinets over the work bench to the point were it felt almost cave like. After two years of thinking the smell in the workshop was the walls and just tossing my tools in at random I decided to actually work on it over the past weekend.

I started by taking down the cabinets and tossing them in the pile to go to the dump. I installed two lights (pic) to brighten up the area and carried about 40 cans of varying liquids out to our shed (to be taken to the dump at a later date). Turns out it was the chemicals that made the workshop smell not the walls, who knew? After that I laid all my tools out on the counter and reorganized them in the drawers and on the shelves. It is a marked improvement, but I still have a wish list of improvements to make over the next few years.

Over the summer I bought supplies to build an SNES arcade controller. I end up just setting it all aside when I got distracted by other hobbies. Restarting this project as a MAME controller and eventual cabinet is what inspired the workshop clean up. I spent three nights measuring, cutting and sanding the first few pieces and then snapped a few photos to share.

Uncut wood with templetes and measurments.

Parts and wiring things

Macro shot of the inner workings

Test placement of buttons


4 comments:

Grant said...

That was an awful smell. Good to hear that's gone.

What kind of longer term plans do you have for workshop space?

Wreck said...

Since I can't really cut wood indoors it is mainly just storage and open space for bike repair and project assembly. I still want tear down the old yellowed drywall and replace it with peg board. Beyond that I want to look into getting a truing stand and more bike repair tools.

Learning to use them would be fun too.

Unknown said...

Maybe we can eventually tear down the old shed and put up a new space for you to do more wood working and such in :)

Grant said...

Beep boop bop beep...whatzzat noise? Why, we're dialing up Art Cummings, that's what.

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search