Monday, February 4, 2008

Personal Computer Gaming

Down and out or just slumping?

PC video game sales were only 17% of the total video game sales for the year 2007. Now I have been hearing about how the imminent death of the PC game for years now, but I never really bought into it. To be honest I don't know how to reconcile 17% without prior year numbers. The feeling I get from the PC market is the real problem though.

Maybe I am just worn out from years of expensive hardware updates, but my computer is barley playing Crysis at the moment and I am not the least bit inclined to buy it more juice. It is pretty, but the story is straight out of Clichéville, USA. The writing is torcherous and all it can say is at least I look damn good, well not on PC it doesn't. Beyond wanting to ogle Crysis there is no title for the PC coming down the pipeline that makes me want to take out a second mortgage for more processing power.

I mentioned in a post many moons ago that Bioshock was the first, first person shooter that I had purchased on a console (360) since Goldeneye 64. I don't think that was anomaly. With up coming PC titles looking bleak and consoles soaring, it isn't hard to imagine a future where the majority of my gaming takes place on a 50" plasma in HD. Not to mention my new found love of all things handheld gaming. The PC will be interviewing for its own job this coming year of 2008. Is there any reason it should keep it?

Site Watch
Rock, Paper, Shotgun is a site that I was recently turned on to that focuses exclusively on PC gaming. They have up to date news and previews and insightful commentary to go with it all. It may look bad for the PC down the road, but RPS helps point out the sunny days when they do crop up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FPS games are a thing of the past the new thing is 3rd person. Thats why i been talking in 3rd person for years now!!!

Mehtul... said...

Chort you are in 4th person, my friend and before all of our time. :)

Wreck, I totally feel your pain. My PC has not made the grade. I bought Call of Duty 4 expecting I could easily play the game multiplayer. Fortunately, I can upgrade my processor for less than my limit. But the real question is, "am I willing to get a new processor just for COD4 when I really should just get it for xbox 360 and save some dough.

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search