Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Check Please!

I could come up with these titles all day. Last night my bonus check (too easy) went through the bank and I sat down to heat up some plastic. I ended up ordering from five different sites to get all the parts I need. Below are the changes from my original post:

- I never listed any tires on the build list, but I ended up with Schwalbe Marathons (700x28) from Wall Bike. Thinner than the planned 700x30s or 32s I wanted to run, but easy enough to switch when I need new tires.

- I skipped ordering the cross top brake levers (interrupters) to meet my initial budget of $1,200. I will order them at a later date I'm sure.

- I dropped the Time ATAC Pedals in order to try out flat pedals for the first time in almost ten years. If I hate the flats I can always order some more ATACs.

- I still have no handlebar tape solution, both Rivendell and Velo Orange are out of green. I guess I will go with black or white until they get green back in stock.

- I end up with no orders from Peter White, while his inventory is nice ordering from him seemed like a chore (telephone, how about I telegraph my order in). I had planned to order a front dérailleur and bottom bracket from him and ended up getting them from Universal Cycles instead.

There are a few things listed and not listed that I still need to pick up. While not crucial to the ride they will be soon enough...

- King Waterbottle Cages
- Front and Rear Racks 1, 2, 3
- Fenders 1, 2, 3
- Frame Pump
- Lights 1, 2, 3


Site Watch
Ever since my days of mountain bike racing when I read Bicycling Magazine on my lunch breaks, I have have been searching for something better. Dirt Rag always seemed like a good choice and I just might start up a subscription one day. I just stumbled upon Urban Velo and skimmed some of their articles. I don't know if it is the form or function that is drawing me in just yet, but it seems like it is worth my time.

3 comments:

Grant said...

Nice choice on the Schwalbes. I've read good things about those.

Two sites for h-bar tape:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/handlebars/handlebar-tape.html

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/tape_e.html

I see a Tubus rack in the posting. Their stuff is amazing. Nitto's might be a little prettier, but the Germans make 'em lighter, stronger, and, in keeping with your bike scheme, black.

Grant said...

Also, in terms of bike publications, Bicycle Quarterly is really thoughtful and well done. I got Landon a subscription to this at Christmas.

These were the guys who did wind tunnel testing at University of Washington with jackets, h-bar bags, fenders, etc.

http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/vbqindex.html

Mehtul... said...

nicely done, sir and congrats. you will be in cycle heaven soon.

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search