Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Photography Toys

Photography is one of the many hobbies I have always wanted to pursue. Lately I have been taking a little more time with my ride and projects shots. I have also been reading up at some enthusiast sites. I don't think it is getting to point where I would look at taking a class, but it may soon come to that. Besides who needs teachers when you have the internets.

Over the weekend I built a cheap macro photo studio (lightbox). When I say cheap I mean free: cardboard box, duct tape and tissue paper that simple. I need to get some better lighting, but other than that most of the test shots I took turned out better than expected.


Crystal's Old Stock Pedal
New Brooks for the Cross Check
New Crank for the Cross Check

I also picked up a Gorillapod which will now be a part of my riding kit and should make for a better tripod than rocks and twigs. Don't get me wrong twigs and rocks have there place, but balancing my camera on them is not the best way to get a good shot.

Self Portrait (and new bedroom set)
In the Macro Lightbox
Hanging on the Check

Site Watch
Strobist is where I found the macro light box project. It's a good site with some other worth while guides and articles. Just the thing a weekend photographer like myself needs.

Bike Pr0n Coming to Richmond (Update)
I found out that the one showing is at the Byrd Theater at midnight on 3/27/08 (link may be NSFW). Midnight on a weeknight and work the next don't mix so I will have to miss out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The only way that the gorillapod could be any cute would be if it were named the monkeypod.

Grant said...

The gorillapod is gonna revolutionize group ride pictures-- no doubt about that. 9.7 oz., too.

What's up next for the lightbox? Any more mods to make? Do you just keep experimenting till you get lighting and camera settings right?

Wreck said...

Experimentation, better lighting for sure and a better back drop than a white pillow case.

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search