Friday, April 11, 2008

Hockey is Still Here

Based on my sports watching habits since middle school you would think that the sport of hockey did not exist. My Canadian "video game" friends might stab me in the eye with a spoon full of maple syrup should they hear that. Maple optical assault or not, it is the truth. The last time I seriously paid attention to hockey was 1990 and 1991 when the Pittsburgh Penguins won back to back Stanley Cups.

My Dad was a member of a Richmond based Pittsburgh fan club when I was growing up. Mainly the Steelers and Penguins as the Pirates have been piss poor since the day I was born. We would go up to the local sports bar for games on big screens or go to peoples houses for every playoff game. In 1990 and 1991 I saw every single Penguins playoff game leading up to the championships and then hockey fell off the face of the earth for me. Well for me and what looks to be most of the American TV watching public based on hockey's slumping ratings.

Wednesday night this week I sat down to sort out my gear for this weekends camping and biking trip. While flipping through the channels I landed at Versus and the first game in the Pens playoff series against the Senators. I ended up watching the whole game and jumping out of my seat when the Penguins scored their third goal in the third period. The game finished at 4-0 for the Pens and I went looking at schedules for the next game to be televised. Pittsburgh won't be on TV again till the possible fifth game in the series on the 19th of this month.

I was so hyped about hockey that after I checked the up coming games I went back to the TV and watched the 2nd and 3rd periods of the Sharks and Flames game.

Site Watch
Besides hockey and the tour on Versus they show a lot of MMA. Specifically the WEC which is the rising star of the Zuffa who also run the UFC. WEC live matches are free though and usually don't disappoint. The Jens Pulver vs Urijah Faber fight on June 1st should be epic.

No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search