Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tabib Boy Scouts

I have thought long and hard about the things I want to impart to Kaden as he grows up. Of course there are values, morals and religion, but I've also done a lot of thinking about the practical/working knowledge I want to pass down. The "Tabib Boy Scouts" is my plan to at least document what I would like to teach him. Keep in mind this is not a substitute for the actual Boy Scouts, I would have loved to have been involved in scouts as young man, but never had the opportunity. I plan to offer up the actual scouts to Kaden as well, but below is the working "Tabib" list as it stands so far...

Arms
How to safely fire a gun*
How to clean a gun

Art
Basic graphic design
Basic painting

Automotive
How to change a tire
How to change oil
How to wash a car

Bicycle
How to change a tire
How to true a wheel
How to assemble a drive train
How to set up brakes and handlebars

Camping
Basic knots*
How to build a campfire*
How to pitch a tent*

Computers
Basic knowledge of programming
Basic knowledge of networks
How to assemble a computer
How to trouble shoot basic problems

Electronics
Build a MAME cabinet
How to hook up home entertainment hardware
How to solder
How to understand a basic circuit diagram

Gardening
Basic planting technique
How to operate lawn equipment

Home Maintenance
Basic drywall repair
How to install ceiling fans or lighting

Photography
Basic concepts

Woodworking
How to operate power tool (I got a miter saw over the weekend)
How to use hand tools

* may overlap some with the actual scouts

I have no doubt the list will grow considerably overtime. Some of the items I will need more practice with (ex: oil change), while other items I'll be starting from scratch on (ex: programing). If you have any suggestions for things I should teach him or even better if you would like to share in imparting some knowledge you possess let me know.

Site Watch
Art of Manliness

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think you have to worry about the scouts teaching how to fire a gun.

Wreck said...

Why? I just double checked the official Boy Scouts of America site and they offer shooting and shooting safety.

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search