Monday, July 23, 2012

Weekend Review: July 21st & 22nd

Every weekend there are new sights, sounds, and taste to consume. There are other sensory inputs that tickle my brain too, but saying there is stuff to feel sounds creepy. This is a journal of my weekend endeavors. Enjoy!

Tour de France
I returned to the tour this year not expecting much after three years away. I ended up getting hooked. It motivated my desire to recover and return to my bike and there were some really exciting stages. It ended on Sunday and I am bummed about that, but am hoping for good coverage of the Olympic cycling events in a little more than a week.

Strava
During the tour coverage there seemed to be a Strava ad every 10 minutes. Enough so that I downloaded the running and cycling apps. I had been laid up with a bum knee for most of the event though. When I finally got out to run last weekend I used Strava instead of Nike+. Strava did not have the audio pace/time updates I like so much with Nike and the screen went dark on my arm band. Preventing me from seeing the pace/time as well. I don't have a bike computer installed however. So with nothing to compare too, I booted Strava on Sunday for a morning ride in the country. I heart data and there was plenty of it. It only consumed 25% battery in 2 hours and it seemed pretty accurate when compared to the other riders I was with. Two thumbs up for the cycling app. A get Nike+ if you're considering the running app.

UFC 149
Boring! Crowd booing is not always the best indicator of how a fight is going, but is this case it was for me. I'm not a fan of Dominic Cruz, but it looked like he could beat Faber and Barao when the belts are unified. The only saving grace was Matt Riddle's standing arm triangle to trip submission. Pretty rad!

Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II Retribution
Not to make you think the weekend was a total sport-o-fest, I picked up Dawn of War 2: Retribution during the Summer Steam sale. I had already played through the original game and the first expansion and loved them. Retribution adds new factions and more single player story lines. So far so good. The 40k video games have everything I thing I want out of actually playing tabletop 40k except for the painting. Now if there was just a turn based mod, I'd be in gamer heaven.

DnD Next
It had been forever since we last played DnD 4e . When the DnD Next play test was released in the end of May I desperately wanted to try it out. June was a wash and then we finally got a group together Saturday night. As DM I had to build all of the story hooks and background and WotC provided the dungeon and all the bits to fill it. It was a fun time regardless of the game system, but specifically the new rule set was fun too. Combat rounds were quick and the encounters felt deadly. Two my my major complaints of 4e. There is still plenty to tweak and balance, but it feels like a good start for now.

No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search