Monday, July 30, 2012

Weekend Review: July 28th & 29nd


Every weekend there are new sights, sounds, and taste to consume. There are other sensory inputs that tickle my brain too, but saying there is stuff to feel sounds creepy. This is a journal of my weekend endeavors. Enjoy!

Lockout
When the opening ceremony failed to catch my attention on three different attempts I looked toward other media when the DVR ran out of the Daily Show. Lockout was merely a blip on the radar back in April of this year and will most likely be yet another blip post this month (DVD release). Rightfully so I'm afraid, it was awful. Horrible special effects, writing, acting. The whole lot was rubbish, I don't know what I expected from a space prison movie. Epicness?

Chew
I read the first trade of Chew maybe a year ago and was underwhelmed, given the hype that surrounded it. I re-read the first trade and second trade on Sunday and was stunned at my change in opinion. I loved it. The writing was great, the premise was refreshing (chicken is outlawed and the FDA act as poultry prohibition officers) and the art has grown on me. Could not recommend it more.

Solo Cycling
I've posted many moons ago that I don't particularly care for solo cycling. I think of cycling as a social activity as much as I do a good form of exercise. Sunday my party of four turned into a party of me when everyone bailed. I was already packed up though so I went out for 28.8 miles of solo spinning. It was nice to have some quiet, just me and the bike. Oh and three deer, they were totally cool though.

Dickey's Barbecue Pit
I won't say much here, because it feels like cheating, but the meats were tender and tasty. Plus free ice cream, pickles and souvenir cups. The sides were mostly a bust, but everything else gets a thumbs up. Expect a longer review on 52L in the near-ish future.

The Bugle
Saturday, I spent the whole day painting the boys room (8+ hours). It sucked, but I got to catch up on loads of podcast in my Downcast back log. The best of which was three episodes of the Bugle. John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman's weekly podcast, lampooning world news. Like the Daily Show, but with more puns, more English accents and more dick jokes.



No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search