Monday, August 13, 2012

Weekend Review: August 11th & 12th


Every weekend there are new sights, sounds, and taste to consume. There are other sensory inputs that tickle my brain too, but saying there is stuff to feel sounds creepy. This is a journal of my weekend endeavors. Enjoy!

Beach Week
Saturday we got back from a great week at the beach. Lots of family, running, swimming, beer, coffee and comics. Most of the week was spent at the ocean or in the pool. When the rain came though, I caught up on loads of comics and napping. We got to see a Cops-esque domestic disturbance late in the week and we played the crap out of Pandemic. Oh and a pirate adventure, which was great for my three year old and us.

Batman: Dark Victory
The follow up to The Long Halloween, a book I loved when I read it years ago. The story is fantastic and Tim Sale's art really grew on me. Great sequels are hard to come by, but this is one of them. A grain of salt on this, I heart batman, but it is a good story even if your not a caped crusader super fan. I was really jonesing for batman content post Dark Knight Rises and this hit the spot. Go get it, like right now.

AeroPress
The Friday before we left, my AeroPress arrived in the mail. It is a single serving coffee maker that I have been reading rave reviews about for six months. I brewed a test batch (inverted) that night to get feel for the process and the result was a clean, tasty and less bitter cup. Some 20 cups later and I have nothing but nice things to say about it. Prep and clean up are easy and it brews a damn fine coffee. I even brewed a pitcher for iced coffee and made a simple syrup to go with. Yum!

Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Floats
I'm not really into my desert and alcohol mixing. I like a good stout usually and not too sweet either (the exception). Vacation calls for a bit of experimentation though and the recipe above caught my eye. I ended up with cherry infused bourbon and black cherry soda. All of which when combined with dark chocolate ice cream was a tasty treat. Putting enough bourbon in to get the job done on the first pass is a must though, because you won't have room for a second. I doubt I will go back to drinking these with any regularity (I'd be as big as a house), but for once in a blue moon, they are great.

Pandemic
Ethan lent us Pandemic the day before we left for the beach. He and the internet have been singing it's praises for a while now and I just hadn't gotten around to it. For everyone at the beach it was a new experience, playing co-op board game. Trying to beat a virus (four actually) in what often felt like impossible odds, as a team was really great. We ended up playing 8 times in total and only winning once, but that one taste of victory kept bring us back to the table.'

This is my 500th post, that is all.

No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search