Monday, September 10, 2012

Weekend Review: Sept 8th & 9th


Every weekend there are new sights, sounds, and taste to consume. There are other sensory inputs that tickle my brain too, but saying there is stuff to feel sounds creepy. This is a weekly journal of my weekend endeavors. Enjoy!

Mark of the Ninja 
On Friday Mark of the Ninja silently released to Xbox Live. With what seemed like little fanfare from Microsoft (their latest dash is terrible). Thankfully ever game news site I follow fell in love with it. A 20 minute demo later and I was cramming credits into my account. I like stealth games a lot, but many titles get lost in the weeds when stealth becomes hard to convey. MotN sticks to it's guns. It has fantastic visual cues and offers up enough tweaks to the game play from start to finish that it remains interesting. Oh and it has a good story too. Game of the year contender for me and only $15.

Locke & Key: Clockworks
I devoured the first four trades of Locke & Key when I finally got around to reading it earlier this year. Then I fell off for some reason. I went back to the well this weekend and loved the continuation of the story. It wraps up this fall with the final arc and that has me really excited and already a little depressed it will be over.

Stop Podcasting Yourself
When My Brother, My Brother and Me made the jump to the Maximum Fun family of podcast I was introduced to a grip of new shows. Most everyone has been great, but the one I've enjoyed the most is Stop Podcasting Yourself. The host are two stand ups who live in Vancouver and bring on a different guest every week (pretty standard format). They revel in silly humor and constantly make each other and their guest laugh. They have lots of great guest, but I'd suggest going back in the archive and scoping up ever Paul F Tompkins episode.

40k Painting
I picked up my brushes again early last week and finally started up on my Sons of Medusa army. Which has been on my hobby table untouched for six months. The catalyst for my return was a game my three year old refers to as "Dice Game". We set up five marines each on his Lego table and take turns moving them around the battlefield. We resolve conflicts with d6 rolls and I get him to count up both dice and tell me who won. It is a lot of fun as is, but I am already thinking of modifications to the system. Letter identification for combat advantage and setting up Lego cover.

1 comment:

Flynnjr said...

Hell, *I* want to play Dice Game.

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search