Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Weekend Review: September 1st & 2nd


Every weekend there are new sights, sounds, and taste to consume. There are other sensory inputs that tickle my brain too, but saying there is stuff to feel sounds creepy. This is a journal of my weekend endeavors. Enjoy!

The Campaign 
Friday nigtht was date night. I made steaks and asparagus on the grill and we went to a movie. The Campaign trailers looked funny enough and it got two friendly recommendations. Good enough for us. We both like Galifianakis and Ferrell well enough and the film was face achingly funny for the first half. The shine came off, as it does with most comedies, in the back half though. It threw a few funny jabs out here and there near the end and managed to be recommendation worthy overall. It may sound harsh, but it remained funny longer than most movies do and that is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Revival
I read the first two issues of this book Saturday based on a recommendation (Ethan) and really liked it. A select group of residents in a small town find they have the ability to return to life after death. Only a little bit crazier every time. The art is wicked good, the story feels legit creepy and the characters are already fully established. Totally worth a read.

The Once and Future King
I started this back in high school and made it through 2 of the 4 books the compilation contains. While struggling to find a new fantasy book post ASoIF I went back to the realm of King Arthur. I'm not incredibly far into it yet, but the old memories flooding back. I love White's writing style, humor and occasional word I have to look up. Really glad I returned to finish this some 15 years later.

Crossroads
I don't think 52L will make it over to southside anytime soon, so this one is not going to step on any toes. Post Sunday ride our skeleton crew pulled into Crossroads for coffee and scones. I have been to the South of the James truck a few times and really enjoyed it, but never to the actual coffee shop. It was nice enough outside and we were sweaty enough that we sat out on the patio. The iced coffees hit the spot after an ultra humid ride and my scone was super tasty. I'll be going back for sure.

Angry Birds
Heck of late to the party on this one, but my three year old recently became obsessed. Which means I end up playing it a fair amount too. I first played it back when it original blew up on the iPhone and was bored with it pretty quickly. Too much of the success seems to be based on luck and inconsistent physics. That said  my son loves it and could care less about the pass/fail portion of it. Win or lose he is off to another level. If I had to say a few nice things about it, I'd go with:
  1. I hate the free to play model and Angry Birds stands as the shinning example of not free to play (mostly).
  2. Playing Angry Birds has introduced my son to familiarity with the iPad. Which has let me introduce him to more educational games. He spends as much time with dem birds as he does with Letter School and a matching game that escapes me.
Cycling buddy, Hip Hop aficionado and friend o' mine, Mike got his bee-log up and running again. Give it a visit!



No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search