Monday, February 11, 2013

Weekend Review: Feb 9th & 10th

Every weekend there are new sights, sounds, and taste to consume. There are other sensory inputs that tickle my brain too, but saying there is stuff to feel sounds creepy. This is a weekly journal of my weekend endeavors. Enjoy!

Mistborn : The Final Empire
In late 2007 and early 2008 I discovered Audible and rediscovered audio books in the process. I churned through a massive collection and then stopped. This week I went back to the audio book with a recommendation from Ethan. I dropped my podcast habit cold turkey and dedicated that listening time to Mistborn. The Final Empire is more or less Dark Sun, but with cooler magic system. Setting does not make a book though. The story told is one of intrigue and character arcs that really drew me in. So much so that I started the second book the day after I wrapped up the first.

NIKE Men's Element Half Zip
Getting nice gear for my bike has always been secondary to my other hobbies. I still make do with a cheap windbreaker I bought 7 years ago when Winter riding comes round. Picking up a long sleeve Road Holland this Summer taught me the value of good gear this Fall though. Now that I am dedicated to running this year more than ever before it was time to gear up there too. My first and best purchase was the long sleeve shirt above. With a short sleeve base layer and it I have braved low 20 temps and windy evenings. It is super light weight, minimal seems and keeps me toasty. I forget it is there, which is exactly what I want from my athletic gear.

Nardwuar
I visit a number of different resources while hunting down new raps (e.g. stereogum and rapgenius). The Reddit /r/ hiphopheads is the most recent as of the Fall. Last week I saw a number of links to interviews by Nardwuar there. He a loud, awkward, but self confident interviewer dressed like an eccentric golfer, interviews some of the biggest names in hip hop and brings along gifts (usually vinyl) that speaks to their origin and musical influence. It makes for some really candid moments, something usually not seen in music interviews. His rap interviews have been collected in this Google Drive doc, but the link above is enough to get started with.

No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search