Monday, June 10, 2013

Weekend Review: June 8th & 9th

Every weekend there are new sights, sounds, and taste to consume. There are other sensory inputs that tickle my brain too, but saying there is stuff to feel sounds creepy. This is a weekly journal of my weekend endeavors. Enjoy!

Gunpoint
I've been following allowing with Gunpoint's development since early 2011. Before it had great art and a smooth jazz soundtrack. The core concept stands up on it's own just fine. 2D stealth and puzzle mechanics. More specifically rewiring the electronics in the building you are infiltrating to remove obstacles. The light switch, you know, the one that turns on lights. Now it opens the door you wanted to sneak through or better yet short circuits the socket next to a guard and murders him.  If it was just that it would be a good time, but it also has the art and soundtrack mentioned earlier. Plus a story that is worth reading and interactive dialogue that is pretty damn humorous. It's a great game. I just wish there was more of it, I completed it right at three hours. What you get in that three hours though feels like a new experience in gaming. Maybe? Or maybe it is just Elevator Action evolved. It is a marvelous little game either way.

The Man with the Iron Fists
The Rza writing/directing/acting in his own movie, is a piece of information that would have created no pause in me in high school. I was in a full 36 Chambers spiral. I would have been there for the midnight release. Then came Bobby Digital and the downfall of the clan. When he (Rza) popped up producing the Kill Bill soundtrack though, it seemed like a perfect match. 9 years later, after studying under Tarantino, Rza put out his own film. A small part of me wanted to believe. Then the reviews came in and I knew in my heart of hearts that I shouldn't see it. Well over the weekend I did. It was not good. Bad writing, acting and editing. The only thing that kept me watching was decent fight choreography and illogical devotion to the Wu.

Kingdom Rush: Frontiers
A long anticipated sequel to a game I've probably logged near one hundred iPad hours with. I played through the regular game, then three all levels of difficulty and then finally through the DLC. I wrung it dry. So when Frontiers came out this week and was getting mixed reviews for being more of the same, I signed right up. More of the game I already loved, sure. There are slight changes to the formula and plenty of new towers and enemies, but at it's core is the game I wanted. Heroes now have persistent levels/skills and feel more useful on the map. The harder difficulties and challenges are still tough as hell. It is more like a Kingdom Rush expansion than sequel and I am perfectly happy with that.



No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search