Friday, April 18, 2008

When I Grow Up

I don't know what I want to be...

For a while I thought the answer was an underwriter. I like statistics and excelled in the two business related stat classes I took in college. I think that goal was one of convince though not of desire. I have been in the insurance field for seven years now and the ladder up is through underwriting. It made sense to continue down the paved road, when the gravel road that forked away would require me to lift my head.

IT
I am a hybrid of insurance, marketing and information technology in my current job. I lean toward the IT side as often as possible. An IT career seems interesting enough that I have started to read up on databases in my free time (MySQL and Oracle). Fascinating stuff right, I can't wait for the dinner party conversations. I don't know where it will lead, but I enjoy all things tech so why not make it a career. This also seems like the easiest transition of all the choices I have considered.

Librarian
This is the one career option that would send me back to school. While I am not super thrilled to collect more student loan debt, a masters in library science would leave me set for life. Not financially of course, but from a personality and interest in my work perspective. Archival, research and literature work have always sparked something in me. This would be the biggest transition, but would not be so bad as I could keep a full time job while I studied for my degree online.

Web Design and Coding
I could most likely teach myself most of everything I would need to start doing website design on the side. I have dabbled in CSS a bunch of times and I have worked in photoshop for eight years now. Actually getting a full time job would be a bit more work though. To be honest I don't know if my vision and design creativity would be up to snuff ever. This is really the pipe dream of the three, but it is nice to dream.

No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search