Friday, November 7, 2008

How you like me now?

So the long and short of it is Obama won. Gloating over politics seems silly, but there is nothing wrong with getting excited about your candidate winning. Especially when the state of Virginia has been the state of the red for the eight years that I've been voting. Apparently there has been a demographic change. Not in the county I live in mind you, old rich people aren't too dynamic when it comes to changing their hearts and minds. It felt good to know that my vote mattered though.

To be clear, I felt like either candidate would have been a breathe of fresh air in light of the Bush administration. The economy sucks, we need good international P.R. bad and education/science/technology have taken a back seat for far too long. McCain didn't have answers for all of those issues, but I think he would have done a better job than Bush. His time for that was back in the 2000 primary though. In 2008 he was just more of the same and to be frank we couldn't live through four more years of more of the same.

Obama is hope and one of the first politicians I have ever been inspired by. Not only is he an eloquent speaker, but the words have real thought and meaning behind them. His speech on race in March of this year was some of the most profound and truthful ideas I have ever heard from a politician. That speech and the many others since made me a believer. The proof is in the pudding of course. Four years is not a lot of time to reverse what is turning out to be a a very low point for our country. It will be tough, but I can't imagine anyone else I would want to lead us out of this tunnel.

1 comment:

Mehtul... said...

Whole Hearted, "AGREE".

I have a hard time with politicians anyway but this time I actually felt good about having a vote that counted. I have been middle ground most of my adult life, voting D and R. Like most votes in the past this time it was voting against someone at first but when voting day came, I believe I was finally voting "for" a president. This will be a very difficult job for any president no matter what party they belong to. I don't expect much "change" but if there was any I think Obama is the better for it.

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search