Friday, October 1, 2010

Rebuilding Mirado

Mirado Descal (pics) is a time traveling, astral plane walking, cleric of the highest order of Sirin.  He is also the level 9 cleric I've been playing off and on again for more than a year now.  I love when I get to play him and wish I could dust him off with greater frequency. What is really special about him is that he is the only 4e character I've ever had.  So keeping him fun to play is something I am constantly revisiting.

Last fall when he was a lowly level 3 I rebuilt him to make up for rookie mistakes. A cleric can either focus on strength. Getting up close and punching zombies and the like in the mouth.  Or on wisdom. Hanging back behind the damage sponges, lobbing the lords prayer made tangible. I was going in both directions. Something that can work from a character background, but leaves you vulnerable to crunch woes and boredom.

So as I said, I rebuilt him. I went laser cleric all the way, offensive wisdom based ranged spells.  Smiting doers of evil and on a rare occasion throwing out a heal to my party. A year of chucking radiant bolts has been fun. So much so that when Player's Handbook 3 came out, I toyed with the idea of re-rolling a Ruinpriest and didn't.  The plan was to have Mirado suffer a crisis of faith and you know just start diggin' on them ruins.  I ultimately scrapped the idea, not from a story perspective, but because I really enjoy playing a cleric.

That is not the rebuild the title of this post refers to though. Just this week I broke out the character builder to grow a brand new Mirado from the ground up. I came at it from two perspectives.  One, was inspiration from Ethan's Bravelord he plays in my game.  For too long my cleric has been a striker in leaders clothing.  I don't want to go full on pacifist, but a leader should lead.  Where Ethan does his leading by offering his party extra hits, I hope to debuff and buff my party to victory.

Two, was focusing more on healing and my characters background and motivation that would drive that. I took feats and spells that could be a bit overkill in a normal game. Chuck likes to throw us into the fire and watch us try to survive. Leaning on as many healing spells as I can, has benefits from a crunch and fluff perspective.  So without further ado, the improved Mirado Descal...

Mirado Descal
Human, Cleric, Level 9
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Mace)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Holy Symbol)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 22, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 14.

AC: 21 Fort: 16 Reflex: 16 Will: 24
HP: 62 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +15, Religion +8, History +8, Arcana +8, Heal +15

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Human: Versatile Expertise
Level 1: Mark of Healing
Level 2: Defensive Healing Word
Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Accurate symbol)
Level 6: Healer's Implement
Level 8: Shielding Word

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Sacred Flame
Channel Divinity: Turn Undead
Cleric at-will 1: Astral Seal
Cleric at-will 1: Gaze of Defiance
Cleric encounter 1: Prophetic Guidance
Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope
Cleric utility 2: Shield of Faith
Cleric encounter 3: Hymn of Resurgence
Cleric daily 5: Consecrated Ground
Cleric utility 6: Spirit of Healing
Cleric encounter 7: Searing Light
Cleric daily 9: Dismissal

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Accurate symbol of Hope +2, Belt of Sacrifice (heroic tier), Healer's Brooch +1, Resplendent Gloves (heroic tier), Mace, Healer's Chainmail +1

No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search