Monday, November 5, 2012

Weekend Review: Nov 3rd & 4th

Every weekend there are new sights, sounds, and taste to consume. There are other sensory inputs that tickle my brain too, but saying there is stuff to feel sounds creepy. This is a weekly journal of my weekend endeavors. Enjoy!

The Book of Basketball
Last seasons NBA playoffs and stunted regular season were fantastic. So many teams, players and rivalries that were worth watching. Setting up this season as must watch TV for me. Perfectly timed with the arrival of our second son too. I am great at half watching a basketball game while calming down a newborn. At the center of this new found interest is Bill Simmons. I read all his stuff at Grantland, listen to his podcast every week and his basketball fandom is rubbing off on me. So I dropped the second Theft of Swords book cold turkey (spoiler: it was not better than the first) and picked up Simmon's The Book of Basketball. I have barely cracked the surface, but so far it is great reading.


Punch Quest
The next revolution in iOS (read: mobile) gaming seems to happen every week. At a dollar or two a slice it is easy to see if the fuss is worth fussing about. As a part of that revolution my three year old son goes snooping into my game folder on the iPad periodically. If he sees something new he will snatch it and move it to his own folder. Punch Quest was a game I picked up mid week and spent very little time with. Saturday afternoon I found him playing it on the couch and sat down to see how he liked it. It is an endless runner in the vein of Jetpack Joyride (a favorite in our house), but with greater depth of game play. Different combinations of punches allow for more survivability and ultimately more interesting mechanics. We ended up trading it back and forth for an hour before it was nap time. Oh and it is free and good, so give it a try.

Gelati Celesti
Soccer season ended with trophies and farewells on Saturday morning. Our son was offered a treat in celebration of said season and what I expected the answer to be was "Sweet Frog". What that answer says to me is "I want to eat candy delivered on a bed of sub-par frozen yogurt". I was surprised and a little proud when instead he said "Gelati Celesti". In my opinion the best ice cream in Richmond hands down. Our family has been going there since they opened in 1984. I was the same age as my son then. The years that followed were filled with banana splits for honor rolls and the location of the first date with my now wife. Saturday night I had a scope of the pumpkin ginger snap and chocolate decadence in a waffle cone they make at the shop. It was still just as great as when I was a kid.

No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search