Monday, December 31, 2012

Weekend Review: Dec 29th & 30th

Every weekend there are new sights, sounds, and taste to consume. There are other sensory inputs that tickle my brain too, but saying there is stuff to feel sounds creepy. This is a weekly journal of my weekend endeavors. Enjoy!

Super Hexagon
Long form gaming on the iPad rarely sticks with me (See: me not playing Walking Dead since I wrote about). If I do log long hours on a mobile game it is usually one that I can chip away at in bite sized chunks (See: Kingdom Rush). Super Hexagon has no progression or through line, but what it has in spades is bite sized game play. My longest round ever was 29 seconds. It is simplicity defined. Minimal graphics, dope sound track and twitch play that you can get better at or totally regress back to square one on. I can fire off 4-5 rounds in under a minute usually. Which is exactly what I want from my mobile gaming.

The Signal and the Noise
Ethan gifted this book to me for Christmas, that was already on my "to read" list for 2013. Nate Silver's The Signal and the Noise is about the mountain of data we face everyday and the ability to glean accurate predictions from it, while not getting it all wrong. It covers the origin of FiveThirtyEight, the housing bubble, baseball and much more. I'm not finished with it yet, but so far it has read like a guide of the pitfalls I need to avoid at my job (data analysis) in the coming year.

Spin Drift (NSFW)
Another gift from Ethan. This time in the form of a heads up on a web comic he had not read, but thought I might enjoy. He was right in that I read Spin Drift from start to it's latest release in one sitting. Drawn in by the art at first and then hooked hard by the story. It reminds me a lot of Saga in it's star crossed fantasy lovers. Right down to the he with horns and she with wings bit, but this is a different tale altogether. Well worth a read and something I will keep coming back to in 2013.


No comments:

Miles Logged

Books Read

Recently Finished:

The Wise Man's Fear
Dynasty of Evil
100 Bullets Vol. 07: Samurai
Batman: Batman and Son
100 Bullets Vol. 06: Six Feet Under the Gun
100 Bullets Vol. 05: The Counterfifth Detective
100 Bullets Vol. 04: A Foregone Tomorrow
100 Bullets Vol. 03: Hang Up on the Hang Low
100 Bullets Vol. 02: Split Second Chance
30 Days of Night
100 Bullets Vol. 01: First Shot, Last Call
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Uzumaki, Volume 1
Runaways vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
Batman: Hush, Vol. 2
Atomic Robo Vol. 4: Other Strangeness
}

Search